Mr. Ragamuffin posted this today & I thought it was a great idea – so I’m participating. Here’s what he said:
Whenever you ask people where they are FROM, there is always some followup statement that sounds something likeÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Oh, but I grew up in LAÃ¢â‚¬Â or Ã¢â‚¬Å“Oh but I grew up in New YorkÃ¢â‚¬Â.
Like they somehow must right the wrong in their lives that has led them to Des Moines, IA.
In order to cut down on the banterÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
Where did you Ã¢â‚¬Å“grow upÃ¢â‚¬Â and was your childhood culdesac as rad as the kids on E.T. had it?
So the official answer for me? I grew up in San Jose, Modesto, and Murrieta – all in California.
This was the house I was born in. It had a pool, clubhouse, 2 giant palm trees in the front – gone now. Pretty sad actually – my dad used to keep this place in impeccable condition.
I don’t know how long we lived here, probably till I was in 6th grade or so – then we moved to Modesto. I do remember a couple things about this place:
- Our neighbors the Kerr’s – we used to play all day long outside.
- Our neighbors the Morningstar’s – Al was a mechanic for those funky helicopter planes, and he would wash his classic Ford Thunderbird convertible like every day.
- Some neighbors up the street had a huge sandbox that we used to blow up GI Joe’s in.
- Me and my brother used to hike over to a creek about 1 mile away and play all day long. I always wanted to follow it up into the foothills, but never did.
- We had a basset hound dog at this house that never stopped howling – it mysteriously disappeared.
This was our Modesto house. I have a love/hate relationship with Modesto. Had a lot of good memories there. This house was awesome because it was huge for one thing and it had like a 1/2 acre of land where we would go nuts on every day. While we lived in Mo-town, I went to Modesto Christian School for Junior High, Big Valley Grace for church, and then to Modesto High for 9th & 10th grades.
And this is where we lived when we moved down to SoCal. Of course we lived in a couple little places before this – but this is where we landed. I lived here until I moved out basically. Built a room in the garage – it was pretty sweet. My parents still live here today.
So, that’s where I grew up. How about you?