[this is my absolute favorite picture of me and Miles, taken by Jen in Oceanside]
Miles turned 6 yesterday (read part 1 here and his birthday schedule here). I remember when I used to think that in the year 2000, I’d be 25! Well 2000 has come and gone, now eight, almost nine years later, life has been quite a journey. Jen and I are the proud parents of a six year old and a two year old – amazing how life happens.
This birthday was different from any others. All of Miles’ other birthdays seemed to be cute little baby birthdays – this year he was a little boy. Here’s just some thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head since yesterday.
- I was so enjoying watching him experience joy, friendship, love, presents, cake, attention, and all the other things that come along with birthdays.
- I was so proud of him. He said “thank you” almost as much as he said “birthday” all day long.
- My wife throws the BEST parties EVER!
- I loved the time that I got to spend with him putting together his toys and watching the wonder on his face as he was figuring out how to transform them & put them together.
- We have the most loving family and we’re so blessed that they are able to be a part of our lives. Thanks Mamo & Papa Schneider, Mamo & Papa McLean, Big Mamo, Uncle Kevin (& Aunt Melissa, who was at school), Uncle Travis & Aunt Emmy, Uncle Bo & Aunt Lisi, and Uncle James (who joined us via phone from Virginia).
- We also have some of the best friends ever! Miles had so much fun with his friends – they’re all at such a fun age, they just run around playing, role playing, and having a total blast! Thanks everyone who came and was part of Miles’ birthday!
I want to savor every moment I have with my little son. I know parents always say things like, “you’ll know how I feel when you get there” – you know, those parent sayings? Well it’s coming true before my eyes. This is a very strange place to be in in life. Not a young adult, post college person, but not a seasoned parent either. Jen and I are experiencing it all first hand. The good, the bad, the hard, the fun – just everything. And Miles turning 6 just seems to be such a huge step for him and for us.
Our hope and prayer for him today is that he would continue to be the amazing person God created him as. He’s what we call, a “joy bringer”. He brings joy to people, he has a special gift of lighting up a room, of making people smile, of making people feel loved and important. I hope he never loses that – whatever it is. I pray for his heart, that it would remain soft and sensitive. That he would be teachable & humble all his life. And that no matter what he would have a deep and meaningful relationship with his heavenly father.
Happy Birthday son. You are loved more than you’ll ever know.
-Mom & Dad