Well, many of you know that we just moved into our new facility. What you might not know is that even though I spent a ton of time and energy in designing a good acoustical room, some things got changed and now we are left with a little sound issue. We didn’t have much to work with as far as budget goes and things started getting cut – one big cut was our ceiling insulation that would have really knocked a lot of our sound down (in a good way). And we have stained concrete floors because a buddy of mine in church, Jerry Bloom, did it all GRATIS! Thank you very much. Well concrete floors and tin roof, 30 feet up, make for a lot of sound bouncing around, and the worst offender is the snare drum and cymbals.
So we tried a shield, a modified shield, sound abatement panels, etc. – nothing. We are also in the process of hanging sound abatement panels throughout the room – that should help. Anyways… we decided to build a drum enclosure to solve the problem for now. Here’s what about 5 hours of work produced for me today.
Tomorrow she’ll get some insulation, more plywood, and a coat of paint. Then Friday our keyboard player, Chris Harris, who is also a finish carpenter will make it look like it was actually planned.