Today I headed up to Riverside to Grove Community Church for the SouthWest Church Planter Forum. Normally we’ve been meeting at Oscar’s in Temecula – today was the first time we met in Riverside, a little inconvenient, but worth the drive.Ã‚Â I love these gatherings for a number of reasons:
- I believe in church planting (done right – although it’s messy)
- There’s always a good group of people to network with
- 2 words: Free Food
- We always get a free book
- It’s a good excuse to get out of the office
Today was especially cool for me for two reasons, well three actually. (1) My wife came (love that). (2) My new boss, Pastor Scott from RCC was there. (3) I got to play drums in a quasi ‘all-star’ worship band. It was Eric on acousting & leading, Travis on electric, Vince on Bass, Emily (Travis’ wife & my sister) on vox, and a girl named Stephanie on keys & vox. We did four songs:
- Gravity (John Mayer) yup…
- From the Inside Out
- Some new song…
- Mighty to Save
It was cool to play with these people, and so much fun to be back on the skins! Plus, I was able to make the sound guy happy, which is always a good thing!
1. Words without Practice.Ã‚Â Just saying something doesn’t actualize it. Be a TREE not a PIPE.
2. Business without a Purpose.Ã‚Â Just because ministry calls, doesn’t mean that ministry is calling. Why am I doing this? What am I good at?
3. Calendars without a Sabbath. It’s not the things you do in Ministry that kill you; it’s the things you don’t get done. A calendar that doesn’t have the time to fill you up will suck you dry. Rest, Reflection, & Exercise are no longer options.
4. Relationships without Mutual Nourishment. It’s easy in Ministry to be acquainted with too many People, but to be Known by too few. Take the risk of sharing in a reciprocal relationship honestly. Everyone needs a Titus.
5. Personality without Healthy Self-Examination. Ministry is easily Built on Unhealthy needs. I cannot play father to the world.
6. Discipline without Variety. We need to shock & awe ourselves every once in a while. Do something different; read a book, write a song, take a trip, meditate, anything different to break the routine.
7. Natural Giftedness without Spiritual Character. Pastors can go a Long way on “chutzpah“. Stay LOW before the Lord.
God’s power shows up best in dented people…
That was some pretty powerful stuff – I hope I can take it and get it deep in my soul. I want to plan on the long haul, ministry for a lifetime. One thing Dennis said was “Anyone can suck it up and do anything for a couple years”, he went on to say that you MUST view ministry as long term – something many people in ministry do not do.
What about you?